Saturday, November 12, 2016

Post-Election: What is this

So many emotions. SO, SO many emotions.

To be honest, I wasn't planning on voting. I didn't much like either candidate. And I voiced my opinion about this. But come Tuesday night, as I sat on my couch watching 'Sons of Anarchy' I couldn't do it. At around 7;30 p.m. I got up, got dressed, and headed out to vote. Along my walk, I saw two deers on someones lawn that froze when they saw me, then went galloping away. It put the biggest smile on my face. I don't get to see deer often. As I continued along my walk, I saw a sign that said 'Smile and Be Kind!', and smile I did.



I continued on my way, I got to the voting place, and I voted. And I prayed that Hilary would prove me wrong when she became president. However, that did not happen. I remember staying up, constantly messaging with friends on our group chat, posting status after status on FB hoping what I was witnessing wasn't true. When I woke up the next morning, everyone I knew was filled with anxiety, they were scared, they were angry, they were restless. Me? I was numb. I was bombarded with emotions on social media with no idea how to comprehend my own. I thought of my life long dream of backpacking through Europe. The next four years would be perfect for that. I came across an article that said that the president of Egypt was the first to call and congratulate our president elect. And the Egyptian blood in me curdled. Ashamed to be an American. Ashamed to be an Egyptian. Top feeling? Remained numb. How was it possible. I am CONSTANTLY surrounded by amazing people. At work, in stores and the many I met online. SO much love and support. SO much unity! And I reminded myself I was still surrounded by these people. That our relationships are about to get stronger as well all stand together. Speak up together. Support each other. We have to remind ourselves that Hilary did win that majority vote. That there are more of us standing together than against us. We have to remember to not let the hate shine through. To not bring us down. We are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment